Want to build some strength for the game but not sure where to begin? Start off with this simple, low intensity program involving only bodyweight and dumbbells before gradually bumping it up as your body adapts.
Exercise 1A: Reverse Lunge Step-up
- As you step up, the opposite leg should be lifted to the chest. That leg will also be used to lower from the box i.e. right leg reverse lunge, right leg step into box, left leg to chest, left leg off the box.
- 3×8 reps per leg
Exercise 1B: Push-ups
- Keep your body in a straight line. Knees on the ground for an easier version.
- 8-12 reps
Exercise 2A: Dumbbell Side Lunges
- Bring the dumbbells out to the lunging leg as you go down.
- 8-10 reps per leg
Exercise 2B: Dumbbell Rows
- Keep your back straight and try not to swing your body.
- 8-10 reps
Exercise 3A: Walking Lunges
- Keep your knee in line with your toes, and your back straight through the whole movement.
- 16 reps per leg
Exercise 3B: Dumbbell Flys
- Lift the arms straight out to the sides, and hold for 1 second at the top of the movement. Try not to swing the weights up.
- 8-10 reps
Instructions: After warm-up, complete 3 sets of each groups of exercises. Commence exercise B immediately after exercise A. Rest 1 min between each set.
- (Exercise 1A + 1B) x 3 sets
- (Exercise 2A + 2B) x 3 sets
- (Exercise 3A + 3B) x 3 sets
Alternate this program with Beginner Gym Program A, with at least 1 day rest in between. If you are new to the gym, remember to seek proper supervision when attempting these exercises!